Sky News Joins International Expedition 2041 To Antarctica
LONDON, 6th March 2013: Sky News’ Middle East Editor, Tom Rayner, and London based Cameraman, Chris Pearson, have joined The International Antarctic Expedition 2013 led by Robert Swan, OBE and the 2041 team where they will see first-hand how the frozen continent is already being impacted by global warming.
This annual event see’s Robert Swan, the first man to walk to the north and south poles solo, take a group of International young people from business, industry and academia on a pilgrimage to Antarctica. Swan’s aim, to make “decision-makers of the future” realise the importance of defending Antarctica and fight for its continued preservation.
In the year 2041 the Protocol on Environment Protection to the Antarctic Treaty could potentially be modified or amended. 2041 are working towards the continuing protection of the Antarctic Treaty so that ‘the last great wilderness on earth is never exploited.’
This year Sky News’ Tom Rayner and Chris Pearson have joined Swan’s expedition and are seeing first-hand how the frozen continent is already being impacted by global warming.
Tom Rayner said “Having a chance to visit Antarctica is incredible, but having the opportunity to ask the questions of the experts and future decision-makers of big industry is even more exciting. Climate change is a big issue and we've got an ambitious plan for how we'll report the expedition - putting social media and our digital journalism at the heart of our coverage. We hope it will spark some lively debate."
The expedition involved a hike up the Martial Glacier, Ushuaia before departing on the Sea Spirit, crossing Drake Passage, bound for the Antarctic Peninsula.
Sky News viewers will be able to follow Chris and Tom’s progress via www.skynews.com and Sky News for iPad, which hosts a special live blog with interactive graphics as well as training footage and interviews with expedition members. Special reports are also being aired on Sky News throughout the expedition and viewers can follow the team on Twitter #Expedition2041.
- . @JeffRandallLive will look in detail at the #AutumnStatement http://t.co/bmhBH0lSdF from 7pm on @skynews #AS2013 — 1 hour 38 min ago
- #AS2013 - @dannyalexander @ChrisLeslieMP & #Weather - @DefraGOVUK @EnvAgency on #BoultonandCo today. From 1pm on @skynews — 7 hours 6 min ago
- #AutumnStatement – Key Points At A Glance via @skynews online - http://t.co/8FKUm9S2u2 #AS2013 — 7 hours 16 min ago
- Watch @George_Osborne ‘s Commons Statement live now on @skynews or online via http://t.co/wd2yMxZSKh #AS2013 — 8 hours 24 min ago
- RT @SkyNews: Autumn Statement: The Key Points At A Glance http://t.co/L1fou7LHn5 — 8 hours 32 min ago
- RT @adamboultonSKY: #AS2013 @ 1115 then full reax @1300 on #boultonandco + @dannyalexander @ChrisLeslieMP @chris_huhne @EdConwaySky & many … — 8 hours 36 min ago
- Watch @George_Osborne ‘s Commons Statement live at 11.15pm on @skynews #AS2013 http://t.co/dY3Ts1wfx4 — 8 hours 38 min ago