Sky News Appoints Matthew Bayley as Head of Specialist Journalism
LONDON, Thursday 21st February 2013: Sky News has appointed Matthew Bayley as Head of Specialist Journalism. The newly created role will see Matthew head up Sky’s team of specialist correspondents and editors from June 2013.
Matthew has been in his current role as News Editor of The Daily Telegraph since September 2007 and has been at the heart of the paper's coverage of every major news event since, including the 2008 financial crisis, 2010 general election and last year's Olympics. In 2009 he was part of the award-winning team that carried out the investigation into MPs' expenses.
Matthew began his Fleet Street career as a reporter at the Daily Mail in 2000. Among other major stories, he covered the trial of Ian Huntley for the Soham murders, and reported from more than a dozen countries including Sri Lanka following the tsunami in 2004.
Previously he was an executive on the Daily Mail news desk from 2005 and moved to the Daily Telegraph two years later. Since then he has played a key role in transforming the paper's news coverage as well as setting up the industry's first truly integrated print and digital news desk.
John Ryley, Head of Sky News said: “Matthew joins Sky News with a first class record of delivering agenda-setting stories, not least the Telegraph’s award winning and game-changing exposure of the MPs expenses scandal, as well as digital innovation and editorial leadership.”
Matthew added: "Sky News is a world class broadcaster with ambitious plans for the future. I am thrilled to be joining it at such an exciting time. I am exceptionally proud of everything I have been part of at The Daily Telegraph and wish my colleagues every success in the future as I take on this new challenge."
In a further move, after two very successful years running Sky News’ foreign coverage, Sarah Whitehead is to become Head of Home News and Deputy Head of Newsgathering.
As Head of International News, Sarah was responsible for the channel’s widely-acclaimed foreign news coverage. Since joining Sky at the beginning of 2011, Sarah has handled a series of extraordinary foreign news stories including Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria and Bahrain, the shocking devastation caused by the earthquake and Tsunami in Japan as well as the killing of Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan. Sarah will take up her new role from 4th March.
- Catch up on the #Pistorius trial - tonight on @skynews 9.30pm http://t.co/cXv1pIf5Th — 3 hours 36 min ago
- RT @ESMagOfficial: .@AlexClark3 meets the unstoppable war reporter @AlexCrawfordSky http://t.co/fm8ssp3JvL — 8 hours 33 min ago
- RT @adamboultonSKY: #boultonandco Pistorius Ukraine Breast Cancer @scharap Maria Lipman @harpistKat join @JayneSeckerSky & me — 9 hours 16 min ago
- Live Updates: #Pistorius trial day five via @SkyNews - http://t.co/jkn0bYJFvM — 13 hours 28 min ago
- #Pistorius Trial - Catch up with the latest developments - @skynews 9.30pm http://t.co/q6vvxYeHuD — 1 day 1 hour ago
- Coming up on #BoultonandCo - reaction from Neville Lawrence re - #StephenLawrence public inquiry + #Ukraine Crisis & #Pistorius trial latest — 1 day 9 hours ago
- #Pistorius trial - Follow court updates - http://t.co/moEBqFBfjI plus live trial transcripts - http://t.co/6LhjLwfRkz via @skynews online — 1 day 9 hours ago