Professor Alastair Bruce, OBE, is Sky News’ Royal, Religious and National Events Commentator. He has worked for Sky News for 17 years and has commentated on most big events, including the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the Royal Wedding, the Papal Visit in 2010, the funerals of the Queen Mother and Diana, Princess of Wales.
Alastair also works in film and TV, recently working as Historical Advisor to Oscar winning films, like The King's Speech and The Young Victoria. He filled the same role for both the first and second series of Downton Abbey. He has written many books, including The Oldest, published in October 2005. The 3rd Edition of his book Keepers of the Kingdom will be published in 2012. He has worked with several independent production companies in the preparation of TV documentaries which are regularly aired on Public Broadcasting, Discovery and A&E channels. Among these are Nicholas and Alexandra, Victoria and Albert and Days of Majesty.
In 1998, The Queen appointed Alastair as one of her heralds in the appointment called Fitzalan Pursuivant of Arms Extraordinary, with some responsibility for the heraldry of Britain and its Royal Family. He also offers advice on how the nation should ‘celebrate’ itself. Alastair has been one of The Queen’s Body Guard in Scotland, the ‘Royal Company of Archers’, since 1990.
Alastair was a regular soldier for four years, seeing active service in the Falklands War of 1982. He is still a reserve officer, serving as a Territorial Army Colonel responsible for Reservists in London. In 2004 he took command of a reserve unit, the Media Operations Group, which handled the media representation of military activity. That same year, he completed his period of mobilised service on active operations in Iraq, serving in Operation TELIC.
Alastair has lectured widely in Britain, Europe and the United States. His subjects range from the last Tsars of Russia to Britain’s monarchy and the Vatican in Rome. In 2011, the University of Winchester appointed him Honorary Professor of Media.
Special Correspondents Biographies
- You can catch up with the #Pistorius trial via a special programme every night this week - 9.30pm on @skynews http://t.co/5VM6Dcnp6f — 32 min 42 sec ago
- RT @SkyWillSarge: In the latest #skynews #swipe we test out the #OculusRift say happy 25 to the web and @AoifeLockhart reviews games http:/… — 1 hour 26 min ago
- Topics on today’s #Boultonandco include – missing #Malaysia plane #Alzheimers + @edballsmp & @jamesrsproule on #JobGuarantee 1pm on @skynews — 5 hours 13 min ago
- In a special programme - @JTSkyNews looks back at the first week of evidence in the murder trial of Oscar #Pistorius - 3pm & 8pm @SkyNews — 1 day 2 hours ago
- RT @bevheth: The transcript of the interview with Norman Lamb, Minister for Care, from #murnaghan #skynews is at http://t.co/X5Gkgu9LF6 — 1 day 3 hours ago
- RT @bevheth: The transcript of the interview with Chris Leslie, Shadow Chief Secretary, from #murnaghan #skynews is at http://t.co/gYylyA8o… — 1 day 3 hours ago
- RT @bevheth: The transcript of the interview with Roger Albinyana, Catalonian Foreign Affairs Sec from #murnaghan #skynews is at http://t.c… — 1 day 4 hours ago